Vegan Chinese Rojak
Ingredients for Rojak Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
15g vegetarian belachan (or belachan powder)
40g gula melaka (grated)
1-2 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons thick tamarind juice
1 teaspoon torch ginger (sliced thinly)
1 teaspoon kalamansi lime zest (sliced thinly)
Enough toastedsesame seeds and roasted grated peanut for sprinkling on top
Ingredients for Salad
Any amounts of turnip, cucumber, pineapple, You Tiao (fried dough fritters), rose apples, puffed bean curd or any other vegetables and fruits that you like (e.g. green apples, unripe mango, blanched kangkong and beansprouts)
1) In a large bowl, mix together the sweet sauce, dark soy sauce, vegetarian belachan, gula melaka, chili powder and tamarind juice. Mix until there are no lumps and all the ingredients are mixed welll
2) Add the torch ginger strips and kalamansi lime zest strips. Mix well.
3) Chop up desired vegetables and fruits into bite sized pieces. Add them to the sauce and mix well.
4) Serve onto a plate and sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds and roasted grated peanut.
5) Eat! :D
1)If you find that the sauce is a little watery, heat it up over low heat on a stove until it simmers. Continue stirring until it reaches the desired consistency.
2) Remember to use thick tamarind paste as if you dilute it too much, you will be adding too much liquid in your sauce.
3) You can always do a big batch and keep it in your fridge to use whenever you like. It will keep well in the fridge for several weeks.
4) Adjust the sweetness, sourness and spiciness according to your taste buds.