Vegan Appam Balik (Peanut Pancake Turnovers)
Ingredients for Vegan Appam Balik
150g plain flour
50ml coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for dry peanut filling (individual preference)
roasted grated peanuts
toasted sesame seeds
Ingredients for paste peanut filling (individual preference)
roasted grated peanut
1) Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, salt and baking soda together. Stir to combine.
2) Add the coconut milk, soymilk and vanilla. Whisk until the batter is smooth and combined. Set aside for 1 to 1.5 hours until the yeast ferments the batter and it doubles in size.
3) Check the consistency of the batter. If it is very sticky and thick, you might need to drizzle in some water to thin it to become the consistency of a pancake batter.
4) Heat a non-stick pan to a medium high heat and grease lightly with oil. Pour in a ladle of batter and spread it around. Let it cook on one side until it is completely dry on the surface. Remove and at filling of your choice.
5) For the dry filling, mix the sugar, peanuts and sesame seeds. Dot the pancake with some non-dairy margarine and sprinkle a generous amount of filling. Fold in half.
6) For the wet filling, mix the sugar, peanuts, peanut butter and sesame seeds. Spread on half the pancake and fold in half.
7) Serve hot or warm.
1) Try to use a heavy bottom pan for even cooking
2) Filling can be prepared ahead and used accordingly
3) Play around with the batter by adding orange zest, cinnamon powder etc for a different flavour